Skip to content
playing cards during a blackjack game with a good hand
3 min read

Do not forget to report your gambling income and loss

It is important for me to remind all clients who engage in gambling activities to report both their wins and losses on their tax returns. Casinos and other gambling establishments are required to report winnings that exceed a certain amount to the IRS, but they are not required to report losses. This means that if you do not report both of your winnings and losses, you could be taxed by the IRS on your winnings alone.

Report All Wins

Many people believe that they only need to report their gambling winnings when they had large wins. However, this is not the case. The IRS requires taxpayers to report all income, including the gambling winnings which were already offset by losses.

Enjoying what you're reading? Subscribe to the blog to get more info in your  inbox!

If you do not report your winnings and losses, you could be taxed by the IRS for the winnings, because only the winning records were reported to the IRS and no losses were reported.

Keep Accurate Records

To properly report your gambling income, you should keep accurate records of all of your gambling activity. This includes not only your wins, but also your losses. You can use a logbook or spreadsheet to track each individual bet or wager, the amount of money you won or lost, and the date and location of the activity.

Important Notes

It is also important to note that the IRS considers gambling winnings to be taxable income. Depending on your overall income level, you may be required to pay taxes on your gambling winnings. Failing to report your gambling income could result in fines, penalties, and even criminal charges.

Consult With a Qualified Tax Professional

In conclusion, if you enjoy gambling, it is important to keep accurate records of all of your gambling activity and to report both your wins and losses on your tax returns. If you have any questions about how to properly report your gambling income, I strongly recommend that you consult with a qualified tax professional. Don't let the excitement of gambling lead you into tax trouble – report all of your gambling activity and ensure that you are meeting your tax obligations.

New call-to-action

Rich Schwartz and his CPA firm serve clients throughout Southern New Jersey. Rich has experience working with businesses providing trusted advice, financial solutions, and guidance to help them manage cash flow, plan for the future, and grow their businesses.

Rich has worked with hundreds of businesses across a variety of industries including medical, professional services, financial services, retail, manufacturing, distribution, and real estate. He has the ability to understand the unique challenges facing small business owners and the experience to provide the right solutions.